Thursday, July 30, 2015

Taking my vitamins again A New Protein Powder

So among other things, things are coming together.

BTW, I do know this is the most boring blog ever.  I'm not trying to keep it to educate the world or gain any readers.  It's just that having a public blog helps me stay accountable to my training, and it helps me to look back at my nutrition issues long-term.

Taking my Vitamins: 

  • For several reasons, I decided to start taking a multivitamin again.  

  • I don't think multivitamins are necessarily required for everyone, but you gotta pay attention to your own life.  I don't eat a lot of meat- in fact, I think it's been a little over 3 weeks since I last had meat.  I'm not anti-meat, but I just find myself naturally choosing vegetarian meals. 

  • I nabbed the Alive! brand of vitamin.  Back in the midst of the e.Coli recovery fun, the "Max Potency" version was recommended. I took that plus probiotics for a long time, weaning down slowly as my body recovered.  I know that people doing surgery like lap band or gastric bypass often take the liquid form.  It's certainly more expensive than the average vitamin at the grocery store, but I find it sits well in my tummy.  I feel like it was a significant factor in my recovery then, so I thought the toned-down normal version of it would help me stay healthy now.  

  • Why multivites?  Well, during the Year of e.Coli, I also got overtrained, and I was trying to be all-vegetarian, no-supplements, kale-is-my-sunshine in Oregon.  I lost sight of the fact that nutrition is a big-picture project and that everyone is individual.  You might be able to be a kale-is-my-sunshine no-supplement person, but in cloudy gorgeous Oregon, I should have been supplementing.  I would have still gotten sick from accidentally drinking tainted punch in Mexico, but if I had been supplementing (ahem, and had backed off my training like a normal person), I think I might not have suffered as much damage as I did.  In other words, supplements and science exist for a reason.   I'm not going to make that mistake again.   

  • I also nabbed the Nordic Naturals Vitamin D.  I've been supplementing that for a month and a half now, since my doc says I have a whopping D deficiency.  I've been learning about Nordic Naturals in my Secret Solace Job at the dog and cat nutrition store, and I figure if I would support feeding it to my pet, then I should support the human version for me!  We will see if I feel a big difference between that and the regular grocery store vitamin D gummies.  

  • Yes, I know I'm a grownup, but I get the gummy versions of vitamins because I hate pills.  Don't judge.  

Getting my Protein: 


  • I also decided to change up the protein powder I use.  I've been using a pea protein since I learned I was lactose intolerant.  I used whey protein sporadically for a long time, and quite naturally had a near-constant upset stomach.  I knew protein was important for so many things, but I hated how horrible the protein supplement made my tummy feel!  

  • Duh.  Once I switched to a dairy-free formula, I stopped feeling crappy all the time.  Vega was OK, but it felt a little sweet and grainy to me.  Ultimately, I liked that pea protein basically disappeared into my smoothies.  All the benefits, and it was invisible.  (And yes, protein did keep me full and happy.)

  • I am going to try a hemp protein.  I'd been seeing some articles about it having the full amino acid profile.  Again, I don't eat very much meat, and that means, as a slacker-tarian who is mostly vegetarian/some days full vegan, I don't get those amino acids.  I do need to supplement them.  Amino acids are good for us!

  • Besides, I'd also been reading about hemp and those amino acids and its ability to combat fatigue.  I've been waking up kinda tired, especially with super tired feet and legs.  Since I have a job where I stand up a great deal and I'm pretty active, that's not very comfortable.  So I'm going to try the hemp protein to see if it really does help with fatigue!  

TRAINING: 


  • As far as training:  going OK.  The Galloway method is challenging, and interesting.  

  • I'm finding I have a pretty big form issue:  I don't lift my knees enough.  Or, well, at all.  I have a perpetual shuffle.  And I have no kick.  At all.  So I need to learn to cycle my legs more, and that might help me break through this speed plateau.  

  • My endurance is coming along nicely, but the shuffle step is really holding me back.  I notice, on trails, the problem disappears.  Probably I'm so busy reading the trail and looking for obstacles to leap over that I don't think about "PAIN!  AGONY! THE BONES OF MY LEGS ARE BEING HAMMERED THROUGH MY SPINAL COLUMN!" like I do on the side walks.  Running is not all that comfortable, even with good shoes.  

No comments: