Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Discovery of Trails!

I've written before about my love of trail running.  I loathe the dreadmill.  I am sort of okay with roads... but I associate them with pounding and tight hamstrings and sunburns.  I run because I must and because it's good for me and because I hope that one day I'll become good at it.  

But trails, I love.  The Ridgeline was my regular route in Eugene.  Sure, there was also some nice trail around Amazon park.  But I loved the Ridgeline.  So I've spent the last year being pretty grumpy that Tysons Corner had just about zero unpaved trail runs.  And don't try to tell me something is trail if it's paved.  That's a manicured park. 

Last Friday, I decided to go for a run.  I had an errand to run in Dupont Circle, which was a short bus ride or a good walk away.  So I tied on my running shoes and ran down instead, doing a pretty strong set of miles to get to the knitting store.  I literally RAN my errand!  (ha ha ha ha!) 

Then I realized that I was about 1.5 miles away from my gym, and that Andrew Giant Muscles was about to begin the Wreck'em Boot Camp Class* in 15 minutes.  I thought if I pushed it, I could just barely make it... so off I went! 

As I started out, I realized that the run TO Dupont was all downhill, and this was going to be all uphill.  So I quickly started bargaining down the class, thinking I'd beg off the sprints or the leg raises in favor of extra stretches and crying.  I defend the crying.  I was sprinting(ish) uphill.  You'd be crying too.  

But then my GPS led me to a deadend... right next to a bunch of ambassadorial residences.  You know, the big huge houses marked with no trespassing signs that you are just certain also have tripwires and secret security and random electric fences around to keep riff raff like me out?  

Luckily, I saw the small sign and a trail-like area that suggested it might be an entrance into a park.  And lo and behold, I found myself dropped into Dumbarton Park.  So I ran through Dumbarton.  I slowed to a walk a lot, so I could check my app and be sure I was still pointed in the right direction or to kick some extra mud out of my shoes.  I don't know how long I was in the park... just that I lost track and I had a blast.  

I got to the gym at 12:12, too late to join the class (so I did stretching, abs, and weights) but I consider it a win over all.  I have finally discovered trails, near my house!  That makes me so happy I could scream.  

And I'll definitely be more cheerful about going running now.  In fact, I pulled my trail runners out of the closet.  




*Not the teacher's real name, nor the real class name.  Just what I call them in my head. 

No comments: