Sunday, January 18, 2015

First 2015 Workout

Today we went for a swim at the Wilson Aquatic Center, which marks my first workout for 2015.  It was slow, short, and included a lot of breaks, but I got out there, and that is important.  After being down with that huge coughing bug for so long, it's nice to finally feel like I can breathe again.  (Heck, I think today was perhaps the first day in nearly 6 weeks that I haven't taken medicine for a cough!)

The Wilson center is about a mile down the road from us, and as DC residents, we get free admission!  After a year of very difficult swim practice (either taking the metro for an hour and paying a fee, or putting up with a 3' deep apartment pool and dodging playing families IF the apartment pool was open), it is super cool to have a full competition pool at hand!  It has 50 meter lanes and a real deep end!  So you are working 100% of the time.

In the shallow end, on breaks I was doing some pool stretches (feet and hamstrings) and realizing just how stiff I am.  But that comes back pretty quickly.

I think for this month my goal should be simple: start working towards a baseline.  I'm considering if I want to do a gym membership for a few months to really force myself out of my comfort zone to regain my good habits and some strength training.  I did pretty well with club workouts the last few years... but I'm really feeling the strength loss after last year's HUGE layoff and this year's slow comeback.  I am not the hills queen I was getting to be in Eugene!

The last time I was in such a rut, I joined a gym while in Seminary.  It was $50 a month, but it was a reason to get off campus and go hang out with other people for a while.  Hm.  Maybe I'm just convincing myself that I might need the gym membership for a few months!


No comments: