Monday, September 29, 2014

28 To Great

So today, I am going to do another round of the 28 to Great Barre3 program.  I discovered this fabulous group while I was living in Oregon.  It's a barre-based workout program using bodyweight and light hand weights, Pilates and yoga moves, and tons of repetitions to strengthen and tone.  I find it is super-helpful as a cyclist and a runner and swimmer.  It works me out, but doesn't break me down so I get leaner, more flexible, and stronger but I can still do a big ride or a run without dying.

The last time I did it, I followed the meal plan.  And while the meals are yummy, I am in a different place nutritionally right now.  I'm working closely with a coach to get the right balance of nutrients into my body (plenty of good vegetarian protein, good carbs, good fats), and to learn to eat dairy-free without resorting to fake food or crying.

So this time, I'm going to follow the 28 to Great workout plan and my coach's meal coaching.

Last time I did the 28 to Great, I was still struggling with e.Coli, so I was not very consistent with the workouts, and I was pretty sick from the illness, so I was fighting anemia, low vitamin D, low vitamin B, and a host of other minor nutritional deficiencies.  Now with the e.Coli all healed and my body built up to a strong baseline, I don't have that uphill battle to fight.  So I'm expecting to really concentrate on the workouts a a strong person.

I want to regain my core strength (I used to have abs!) and to get strong enough to do a plank and some pushups.  Arm strength.  Chicks can have it, too!  Ideally, I'd like to work my way back to a baseline of how strong and fit I was the year I did Leadman.  I climbed a mountain on my bike.  That's what I'm looking for.  And then from there, I'd like to get even more fit.

M wants to do some obstacle course races.  I want to do another half-Iron next year, but I'm also intrigued by those obstacles.  I always thought they'd be too hard for me, and then I watched him and his friend do one.  And I thought, "Yeah, I could do these..."  and "If THAT girl can do it, hellayeah, so can I."

So it's one month to really focus on strength.

And month #2 of relearning how to eat with my nice coach.  WHO MADE ME A SPECIAL RECIPE FOR TOMATO SOUP THAT I CAN"T WAIT TO EAT!

No comments: