Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Big Swim, Hard Run, Eat Food.

I did my weekly Big Swim at the Wilson Pool on Monday.  It was delightful.  M was off to a meeting elsewhere, so I walked from Georgetown to the pool.  Considering that I'd been lazing around all day, the lengthy walk (about 2.5 miles) was both comfortable and necessary.

Once I got to the pool, I changed and went for the slow lane.  (The medium lane was pretty full).  I had the very unique experience of catching and passing people on the swim!  This is the first summer that everything really seems to be coming together on that swim, so being able to fight to catch a stronger swimmer's feet (usually M's.  He's fun to chase!), or to pass a swimmer, is something entirely new to me!  Still, it only happens when all elements have pulled together, which doesn't always occur.  I'm definitely very aware of the times when I am positioned correctly and catching the water, and when I slack on my form and positioning.  I don't think I have seen the end of my arm drills and kick board drills.  But it is kind of cool to feel water rushing by my legs when I kick!

I owe huge thanks to Judy from Oregon who coached me in swimming last year, and totally helped me correct some of the worst defects in my stroke!  I was kicking like I was riding a bicycle, and she helped me learn to kick like a dolphin.  I hope she's back into her own groove, too!

Yesterday, I squeaked out time for a run.  Being short on time (it was after 5 and I had a meeting at 7!) I opted for the short and intense version of the workout.  If you can't do your planned training, it's beneficial to go out super hard and short to get SOME benefit.

Sadly, my phone app didn't work like I thought it would, so I don't have my splits.  But based on feel, I would not be surprised if I held down a 9 minute (or even sub 9!) mile for the first 1.5 miles, and then held at least a 9:45 for the last 1.5 miles.  I know I was out for just about 30 minutes, and that the route was just over a 5K, and that the last half is pretty much uphill.  I was really pushing it!

Then I went to my meeting, where we were promised food.  That is when I realized that what I mean by "food" is not what others mean by "food", because they aren't training for a big race!  So I had had my lunch (a nice big salad with beans and pita), and nothing else, because I figured on a big dinner.

The meeting had delicious grapes, nuts, and crackers-and-cheese (of course I couldn't eat the cheese!).  It was a very good and productive meeting, but I couldn't wait to get out of there... I made a beeline to the grocery store, where I probably had the most hangry shopping experience ever!  I started at the spaghetti sauce thinking I'd get sauce to make pasta and sauce (which was a great idea).

Then I thought it would take too much time to boil water and make pasta.  So I revised that plan to vegan pizza.  The store did not have any vegan pizza, and then I started thinking it would take too long to heat up pre-made pizza.  (Yeah, it was getting bad).  That explains ENTIRELY how I ended up with vegan "buffalo wings" and marinara, because they took 2 minutes in the microwave and if I didn't eat RIGHT NOW I was literally about to starve to death in my kitchen, whimpering to a hungry end.

I also ate some veggies.

It was not my proudest moment in nutrition, but I do accept that I allowed myself to get far too hungry!  I need to eat snacks before I am hungry, or else I eat chicken nuggets.  That being said, vegan chicken nuggets are probably not the worst thing I could eat, hopefully.

But I'm definitely going to be making the normal pasta and sauce today for my supper.

I'm also wearing my compression socks and taking today as a cardio rest day.  I'm planning a bike ride for tomorrow, and considering that I am behind on nutrition, I want to give my body a chance to catch up.  This summer has been so rough that I think a little TLC is okay right now, especially this close to the end.

(Incidentally, due to a late meeting today, I am going to be cooking at church, so I can avoid fighting the traffic!  Such is clergy life at times.)

No comments: