Monday, August 11, 2014

I Fired The Nutritionist

You probably saw this one coming. 

After getting home from the horrible bike ride, I got in touch with a friend who is a tri coach- in fact, we met when she also lived in Eugene and owned the tri shop and ran the tri club we went to.  I told her about my nutrition woes.  She looked at my plans from the Fancy Nutrtionist.

Short story: my meal plan was only well balanced and ample, if you are a lethargic flea.  There was just no way I could have met my quotas or sufficiently fueled my body eating that way. At the end of the day, I was clocking in at around 1200-1300 calories... My doctor's had an RD whose starting suggestion had been 2000.

So I hired my tri friend to help me learn proper nutrition, and for the last week, I just ate what I wanted. I ate the protein pancakes she suggested for breakfast, because they are yummy.  I ate salads and nuts because I like salads and nuts. I ate apples and peanut butter.  I had a few pita sandwiches.  And I have myself a week off from tracking.  And weighing myself.  

I've got issues with control, and with controlling eating, and ultimately, a lot of what I was having to do with the nutritionist was just triggering a lot of very scary and uncomfortable behaviors for me.  That's just not a good place to be.  Very happily, my tri friend also has been through eating issues, and she knows how to help me be healthy without getting trapped in a cycle.  

I did a run, and two swims, and a few barre workouts.  I helped a friend paint her house.  Mostly, I walked a lot.  And I didn't track any of it, although I let my Shine track it for me.  I was disappointed to not get very many points for house painting! M points out that I was mostly just standing or sitting while I did cut ins.  I tried to explain that even though I was sitting, I was sitting on the roof of a house!  

That  should count for more, right? 

By yesterday, I realized that for the first time in months I was home from work and didn't feel like taking a giant mega nap.  I hadn't needed a nap for a few days, actually.  

Firing the nutritionist was probably the best thing I've done this summer.  I just hope I can salvage enough of the season so I can race this race and not just finish it! 

No comments: