Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Running Program Has Not Yet Made Me Want To Die

Well, to my own shock, I have discovered that the running program does not yet make me want to die.  It is a pretty laid back thing, and we have 7 days to complete a level before moving on, or else we just repeat the level.  Which I think means that we can spend several weeks trying to complete a level, getting stronger each time.  

It works out to 5 days of running a week, with two rest or cross training days.  Of course, for me, it means that I'm starting to move towards two-a-days, because HELLO, bike ride!  Never say no to the bike ride.  

Today, I thought I'd just slog through a pre-breakfast 25 minutes easy run, but instead I was feeling sorta perky, and actually pulled off the longer run without feeling like death.  This is kinda huge for me, the Ultimate Non-Runner. 

Then I biked to work, in baggy shorts, on my beautiful BMC roadie.  I know, it's so wrong!  :-)  

(When my photostream catches up, I'll add a picture of my beautiful BMC stuck next to a freak in baggy shorts.)


(Just so I remember for later: it was Powerbar Gel Chews for breakfast, and Powerbar Perform in the bottles.  No upset tummy!  Yay!  So the lesson we are learning is that squishy food is best in my tummy for a run effort.)  

Last Saturday, we went for a tough ride with Tri360, a super-nice, friendly tri club that does a weekly hills ride.  Oh yeah, I'd forgotten how hilly Arlington can be!  Living in the long rolling hills of Oregon, I got sorta snotty about hills.  It was probably good to get my ass handed to me.   

But what I hadn't realized is how sick I'd really been with the e.Coli.  After my 70.3, the (Oregon) doc made me do a pretty strict rest-and-recovery period- ending my season for every sort of race.  Talking to M recently, he mentioned how much better I'd been doing recently since starting at this medical practice, getting the e.Coli knocked out (hopefully for good!), and starting medication to help support my poor beat up system. All told, I didn't get fully cleared to train as normal until March.  So I hadn't really done a hard effort in nearly nine months.  Gak- and I had been telling myself it was just a six month layoff!  

On one hand, I'm happy to be feeling better.  On the other hand, I'm a bit frustrated and embarrassed and upset when I finally conked out and had to unclip and walk a last little hill.  I didn't have to walk an inch in Lake Stevens.  I didn't so much as paperboy the mountain pass in Leadman.  I know I've been much stronger than this.  And honestly, I didn't feel SICK at all.  No heartburn, no nausea, no cramping.  So feeling physically well, I thought I'd been fine.  

Ultimately, I think I might have bonked a bit (I didn't have a lot of food on board) and I think I was just feeling muscle failure.  I'm simply not as strong as I was.  

So my (DC) doc has me now trying to do something called the Food Exchange.  It's apparently a way that diabetics eat which is designed to help them regulate their blood sugar.  It's a balance of protein, carbs, and fats, broken down by meals.  (This will probably help me to get the right balance of fats and proteins and carbs while working with my rebuilding system.  Apparently, my diet was healthy, just not hitting proportional balance, and right now, ye old body wants a lot more consistency.)  Right now, I find it overwhelming and confusing and I want someone to create an app or a book to just tell me what to eat when. 

This will be getting tracked closely- to see if I can drop a few pounds healthy-like, and to see how I feel on workouts.  Fewer pounds, fewer bonks, and zero heartburn is our goal!  












No comments: