Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Race directing

I am feeling a little like a super-powered race director right about now.  I started my morning with a green smoothie that any race director would approve of (bananas, almond milk, and collard, if you would like to know.)  I have a potential announcer on the line, and I should have my official approved permits in hand any day now.  I am working diligently on getting announcements ready.  Tomorrow, I call about those permits and get my route ready, and next thing, it's working with the race company to create a registration website.  All this has been single-person, behind-the-scenes work, but soon I will be about to roll into stuff that will be publicly visible.  

This might be the single most exciting thing I've gotten to do for a non-profit organization.  I've RUN charity races before, but to organize one?  Whew.  It's wild.    

I now have actual volunteers for my Race Day Team, so I think I am going to get them VOLUNTEER shirts so they can be extra cool.  Soon, it'll be time for our first Team Meeting.  Oh, yes.  There will be an agenda.  When I ran my first meeting at St. Mary's for parents of our pilgrims, I handed out an agenda. I thought I was going to be canonized on the spot.  My people love organization and agendas and getting things done.  

Like a RACE BOSS.  That's me.  

I've started having urges to ride bikes again.  I still think I'm on a break from running, but I am getting back in the saddle, as long as I am careful about that left heel.  It's healed, it's just new skin and I should be careful with it.  

Today I learned the sad truth that Sriracha potato chips, which I love dearly, are made with a large amount of dairy products.  I gave them to a fellow sriracha lover, and mourned their departure.  

So I made cheesy tofu bites and a sushi rice roll for dinner to soothe my sorrowing soul.  Yes, yes, even I recognize how lame that looks in writing, but it was much tastier than it sounds.  Trust me.  

In interesting news, I have learned that apparently, late-onset food allergies are not uncommon.  I am grateful to know that I am not a freak of nature.  In fact, it seems that it is a known phenomenon among endurance athletes, especially those who train through illnesses or major life stress or who are pushing for their first major event.  It's not exactly common, but it happens: the athlete develops an intolerance or allergy to a previously tolerated food.  So between Leadman, separation, food poisoning, flu, and Ironman, it makes sense that my body figured out a way to rebel.  

That's the good news.  And many people do recover fully, although it takes a very long time- typically eight months to a year.  The bad news?  Many other people find this is a life-long change.  Only time will tell with me! 


No comments: