Monday, July 15, 2013

Race Number

My race number will be #465.  There's a lot of people in my age group, which means I have a good chance of not finishing last!  Yay!

I think you can follow me on race day.  M will be coming as my support person and house cook.  We are sharing a house with a bunch of teammates and trust me, it will be amazeballs to have M cooking!

As it stands...

My swim is way stronger than last year.

My bike is about the same.  I miss my bike a lot because since the route has so little climbing compared to what I'm used to, I decided not to worry about the bike at all.

My run is woefully undertrained and it's entirely possible I may die.  It was nice to know y'all.

I have embarked on my last week before the race preparations.

No coffee, just yerba mate.  So that on race day when I get my Smooth Caffeinator Picky Bar on the bike, I am out of the T1 area like a bat outta hell.

Lots of protein.  No real carb loading for me, until a day or so before the race, I up my carbs to get a few extra sandwiches.  Yummy.  Maybe a little pasta the night before.  But not a lot.  I don't like loading down with a ton of carbs.  My body has never appreciated it.  I pretty much have to eat normally and then eat a lot on the bike.

I tried carb-loading once.  It was horrible.  I would be a terrible competitive eater.

This year is SO challenging with the no-dairy thing.  It means no pre (or post!) race pizza or ice cream. On one hand, my numbers on the scale are consistently dropping and I finally know the difference between a cold and allergies.  So I feel so much better than I did a year ago.  On the other hand, it's a HUGE nutrition change to make in the middle of the season, and I am still adjusting.

My race ambitions have been totally derailed.  I had wanted to do an Olympic this season with a 9-minute off-the-bike pace.  (I was on track for that earlier).  But with the dairy allergy, and the major nutrition change, my focus has changed to "learn how to not bonk and what energy bars are safe to eat".

Picky Bars save my bacon.

I wonder how Picky Bars taste WITH bacon?


1 comment:

Reverend Ref + said...

Everything's better with bacon.