Sunday, June 30, 2013

Plans for July: It Begins

So now it is 4 1/2 hours from the start of July, the month you have all been waiting for.

Race Month!  The plans:
We are both running the Butte to Butte- me for the 3rd time, him for the 2nd time.

I am doing my half-Ironman on July 21, in Lake Stevens Washington.

M is doing his first tri, the Olympic distance at the Rolf Prima Tri at the Grove on July 28.

The Butte to Butte has become a fun July 4 tradition.  I don't always get race shirts, but the Butte to Butte ones are fun!  

My plan for this one is to run it as a training race- I am debating if I'm going to try the run-two-minutes-walk-one-minute strategy I'm considering for the Ironman run, or if I'll do a flat-out hilly 10K and see how I do.

After the race, we plan to head out to the Bend area for a little low-key camping.  If we can still get a Lake Cultus area tent spot, we will bring the wetsuits and do some swimming.  (Cold lake + swim = recovery from hot run.)

The triathlon anxiety dreams have started.  It's the usual, by now.  I arrive at the race.  In the dream, I had my tri bag ready to go, but I found that the start line was pretty far from T1.  So I set everything up, and went to the start line, only to discover I didn't have my shoes or my watch or my Road ID.  Can't race without Road ID!  So I go back to my bag, only to find that someone has packed up my transition area.  So I set my area up again, put on my things, and head to the start line... only to discover that I don't have my shoes or watch or Road ID.  So I go back to the T1, where I find someone has packed it up.  So I unpack it, and head back to the start line, where I can see they are starting to run racers, and if I don't hurry, I'll miss my race.  So I get to the start line... and guess what?  Yep, no shoes or watch or Road ID.  So I spend the whole dream watching wave after wave go off while I never had exactly what I need.  It's basically Sisphyus, triathlon-style.

Other than that, training is OK.  My swim is a little less strong than I'd like it to be.  It takes me so long to get comfy in a wetsuit.  I often wish I had a sleeveless one for more arm movement!  My swim form is much, much better- so much better that I could actually keep pace with M yesterday when I was concentrating on form and cadence.  I did so great that he actually clobbered me in the head with a mighty swimmer elbow, because I got too close!  For the rest of the month, I think I should concentrate on endurance, since I've changed so much about my stroke.  Now it's time to keep that stroke together for a whole mile!

My bike feels fantastic.  I am finishing hard push rides with plenty left in the tank, so I think I'll have a happy ride.  I'm not worried about coming out of the water queasy, since I think it was the beginning of a bonk yesterday when I got queasy in the water.  On race day, by the time I start getting hungry, I'll be on the bike and that's a rolling buffet.

My run... well, I'm woefully undertrained for a half marathon.  I think I might try a run til I can't, then switch to Run Two Minutes, Walk One Minute around mile 3 or 4.  It'll be a survival run.  Training plans include running on the Ridgeline trail to keep cool and work hills, perhaps some early morning runs around my neighborhood, and the Butte to Butte.

Outside work will be sparing this week- it is HOT.  It was 104 outside my garage this afternoon, and I'm already sporting a mondo sunburn from this weekend's adventures.  (There's not enough SPF in the world.)  I have to let this burn heal so I don't get worse!

For karma balance, I am going to volunteer at the Rolf Prima.  I really wanted to be there at the finish line when M finishes his first race, and I think it's great to volunteer at races.  None of this would be possible without the incredible volunteers, and it's been a few years since I volunteered.  It's time to give back- it's good balance!  So I am volunteering as the person who writes your number on your leg, meaning I'll be right near the swim start, and near transition, so I can keep an eye on M as he goes through things!

Wish us luck!

BONUS for reading this far:  Watermelon Slush.  I've been drinking this for two days now, because it's slushy and cool and it's HOT.

You need a blender.
Fill the blender loosely with watermelon chunks.
Add 1/4 cup lemon juice.  Real lemonade is also OK.
If you like ginger, toss in a peeled piece of ginger, about 1/2" wide.
Smush a whole tray of ice cubes into there.

Press start, and when the watermelon has blended to the point where it starts chunking up the ice, hit ice cube mode on your blender.  Blend until it's slushy in texture.

Drink away!  I'm sure you could put vodka or something into this (maybe a white wine?) but I don't like alcohol on super-hot days like this.


1 comment:

Reverend Ref + said...

The triathlon anxiety dreams have started.

I have preseason football dreams along these lines: no shoes, no pants, no flags, wrong game site, etc.

The two most memorable dreams were 1) I forgot my knickers and had to have my legs wrapped in athletic tape; and 2) I forgot my shoes and had to wear my cowboy boots.