Friday, May 3, 2013

While I was at Clergy Conference...

So I spent my week at Clergy Conference.  All the Episcopal Clergy in the Diocese of Western Oregon gather to spend a few days with other colleagues and to get some clergy-specific education.  This year, I brought running clothes and figured I'd get some nice pretty runs in.  We were, after all, at the lovely Oregon Gardens in Silverton.


Sadly, the front desk informed me they don't let people run in the gardens during the day.  So I could not go into the gardens.  I guess running people distract other people from horticultural appreciation?

Instead, during the three day conference, I got in two runs.

Run #1 was just a quick 30-minute "trash can run".  That's what I call this workout I invented where you run intervals from trash can to trash can.  The name makes me giggle and the intervals distract me from the misery.

Because somehow, in the last three years I've been going to the Oregon Gardens Resort, I have never noticed that the driveway is one giant long soul-crushing uphill.  Wowch.

Run #2 was infinitely more interesting.  One of my colleagues has gotten her Certified Personal Trainer creds, and was offering boot camp. She decided it would be fun to bring in some more people by offering up a pre-boot camp run.  Which she then scheduled at 6:30 AM.  That's in the morning.  Like, at dawn.

I promptly decided to skip it as Amma don't do that pre-dawn stuff.  Sure I used to get up at 4AM to do open water swim workouts in CT, but that was an act born of desperation.

My colleague would not be deterred.  First, she enlisted my boss, who is a RUNNER's runner.  He runs because he enjoys it and finds it fun.  I can usually turn him down cold when he comes up with crazy ideas like "Wouldn't a pre-dawn run be fun!"

So he enlisted three other young women and EVERYONE totally ganged up on me and peer-pressured me into coming out for a delightful cool predawn run through Silverton, where we discovered that one certain mom (whose been my work buddy since I got to Oregon) is totally badass at charging up hills.

Then we did boot camp.  And then I ate lots of breakfast.

All in all, I am very pleased and happy with getting those extra runs in.  Running while traveling is new to me (I only started doing it last year while I was on pilgrimage with the SuperRunningTeen), but it's actually really fun.

I will need new running shoes next month.

1 comment:

Reverend Ref + said...

Because somehow, in the last three years I've been going to the Oregon Gardens Resort, I have never noticed that the driveway is one giant long soul-crushing uphill. Wowch.


Dude . . . as a runner/biker type person (okay, more biker than runner, but still), that's the FIRST thing you're supposed to notice.