Saturday, March 9, 2013

Busy Days in Lent

Wow, haven't updated since 2/23. Whoops! Busy times, indeed.

Big shout-out to my Uncle T, one of my biggest cheerleaders. He won an important ham radio award for a technical article he wrote. Congratulations!! Hooray!

Well, my Lenten discipline of Cadbury Creme Eggs goes well. I don't have one every day, but I think I manage to squeeze in 2-3 a week. My other discipline of no Facebook or internet surfing between 6PM - 9PM... that has not been going as well. Part of it is just how busy work has been. Sometimes, I haven't even GOTTEN to email until after 6PM. So I'm trying to cut myself some slack, there.

I am being pretty good about healthy food choices: my "on the go" meals have been frequent, but with my meal planning program, I am being good- a little too good- about cooking for one. I sometimes don't have leftovers for lunch the next day. Whoops.

I have a new ingredient to play with: I have discovered umeboshi plums! They are a super-sour pickled plum. Given my issues with electrolytes and cramping, I am always on the lookout for homepathic cures. I'd had some nagging calf cramps over the last week or so, but then discovered a recipe for a ginger-lemon-umeboshi tea (grate ginger, slice of lemon, one plum, 1.5-2 cups water, boil, strain, add honey if needed). And the cramps? History. It also works well on headaches.

Racing-weight wise... I think I need to find a little help whittling off the last ten pounds or so. I'm sort of stalled and that usually means you need a kick in the butt.

Training has gone on apace. I have started seeing more rides outside than inside now that the light is picking up. Of course, OREGON. Once, I left work at 3PM because it was so gorgeous and sunny after a week of rain, and it was hailing when I got home. I suited up like an Eskimo, looked out over the hills, guessed that it might be sunny once I got down the hill, and indeed, it was sunny and dry a mile from my hail-covered house. (Yes, mom, I was super-careful riding down the hill in the hail!) Of course, then I was dying of heat, as I did a ride in 55 degree sunny weather wearing layers better suited to a 35 degree ride!

As of April 1, I start to ramp it up into my formal Half-Iron Plan, with a schedule and everything. I feel like I'm about where I ended last season at, minus about 8 pounds. I'll be adding some big swim workouts (especially once M is home so I can have a workout buddy!).

Plans for this season? Well, I really hope I can get M to do the Rolf Prima in July, and then I'll have Lake Stevens. I'm debating seriously about the Leadman 125. If I can, I would LOVE to go do Leadman again. It's just such a fun course. And M would just love Bend.

In other news, I have discovered the joys of a home carpet cleaner. My house just feeling frusty- you know, dusty and dirty. I felt like I could not vacuum enough to make myself happy. I was going to rent a carpet cleaner, but a friend had a spare one, so I am now the proud owner of a grand old carpet shampooer.

It is shockingly effective, and incredibly satisfying in a way that would make my 12-year-old self cry to think of what I would become. THAT GIRL who gets excited about cleaning up dirt. I'm a little horrified at myself, really. I shall ponder what my life has sunk to, as I wiggle my bare toes against my fantastically clean carpet.

I'm also working on a knitted sweater. I got some great yarn on sale and found a very exciting pattern, so I'm busy on a sweater, and I am more eager to be knitting lately than I have in a long time. I really needed a just-for-myself project. I don't think I'll have it done in time for my next plane trip, but maybe by April!

No comments: