Friday, January 25, 2013

Sun Hunting, Eugene Edition

This afternoon, I chanced to look out over the hills. This wasn't too hard, as one wall in my living/dining room is pretty much all windows. The day had started off rainy, and I had pretty much given up on sun hunting as the weather reports all showed rain at the coast too.

But then, around 1:41, I noticed something odd with the light. There was no rain falling, and everything seemed much... Brighter. It was as if someone had turned on a giant yellow lamp. Out on the deck, a quick glance upwards confirm my suspicion- there was variation in the cloud cover, and the sun was valiantly attempting to break through.

There's only one way to respond to that. BIKE RIDE, BIKE RIDE, BIKE RIDE!!! Within 10 minutes, I was dressed in layers and was pumping tires. I ended changing down layers several times (and was grateful that I chose to go lighter!), but remain eternally grateful for my brother in law who gave me booties last year. Seriously, bike booties change your world. They even beat my gloves for favorite winter bike gear ever.

I rode a 20 mile loop, up Bailey Hill and basically, down the back part of the Hutch's Monday ride. It's a simple loop but I love it. It's different every time. I certainly felt different... All that core work seems to be paying off, as I felt I had power to spare. I think I'll be doing some speedwork in February! I wish I could afford Computrainer classes, but alas, it's just not in the cards right now.

It rained a teeny bit, for about 10 minutes, on the very back end of the loop, but my layers kept me plenty warm. I did get muddy down to the skin, though. Grit had soaked through my seams! Most of the time though, I had view like these- yes, mom, I came to a complete stop before taking these pictures! Safety Priest!







No comments: