Saturday, September 29, 2012

Plans for the Fall

Well, it's one week post race.  The first few days I just did a massive amount of sleeping.  Then I worked a few 12+ hour days due to some very exciting things happening at work (like installing the Boss as Priest-in-Charge and pulling off a massive party!), and spent part of my "day off" catching up.

For the record: I do think self-care is important, and I'm usually pretty careful about taking my day off.  But sometimes (like in the start of the program year), I need to work a little extra in.  It's not a frequent occurrence, and because of this, it doesn't bother me.  This Friday I was working on lesson plans for confirmation class and studying a Spanish sermon.  The lesson plan shaped up nicely, but I'm afraid I was defeated by the Spanish sermon, and will turn it over to one of my congregants to read.  *deepsigh*  Ah well.  That is why I'm heading to Mexico at the end of this month.  I need to study more!  

As far as plans for the fall, I think I will be working on my flexibility and core strength.  And doing some mountain biking, and trail running.  And if a century comes up on a free Saturday, I might not say "no".  I would love to get a 100-mile ride in on my BMC in its first season, and I know I've got the miles in these legs.  Even after 70 miles up a mountain in Bend, I could have kept going!  (Have I bored my readers- all three of you- with my constant proclamations of how much I love that bike?)  

Basically, I am going to go trail running because I get bored so easily while running and I am amused by leaping over roots and rocks.  

And mountain biking... well, I tend to find I get more comfortable with bike handling when I spend more time on trails.  After a few road crashes, I've gotten a little nervous with the falling thing!  MTBing freaks me out... in a good way that pays off on the roadie.  

As far as the flexibility and core strength- I really haven't spent much time on the mat recently.  I'm feeling about as fit as I've felt in a few years, and I would love to capitalize on this.  I think I'd like to work on speed this winter... and that's not going to happen if I don't lay some groundwork of getting back in the habit of the massive stretching and core work I used to do in Arlington!  There was a reason I used to be able to pace 15-17 mph... on a 37 pound hybrid over 50+ miles.  

In the meantime, it's also a crazy busy fall at work, so I imagine that posting may be less frequent than it has been during the summer.  On one hand, without a race to prep for, there's less for me to obsess about.  On the other hand, it's just so busy right now!  

No comments: