Friday, April 13, 2012

Packing Priest

Some people think I have a tendency to obsess.

I prefer to call it "Planning Very Carefully".  Considering that I will be helping lead a trip of 16 teens to England this summer and will be entrusted with all their lives and well-being and eternal souls, I think this might be a good tendency to have.

I decided that I should do a trial of the luggage I was planning to take so I could demonstrate to the kids what an appropriate hosteling backpack was, so I pulled out this horridly ugly but beloved green thing.  I've taken it to England, France, and Australia, and my sister took it all over Europe, and another friend took it to a Habitat for Humanity build in rural Thailand.  It's awesome. Sadly, it is not able to serve me this summer.

After I did some checking... it's too big.  We are limiting our group to carry-ons only.  It clocks in at a little over 26 inches tall and 15 inches wide.  Carry-on regulations these days are 22 inches by 14.

This bums me out.  Back in the days before baggage fees, I had no problem with fudging the carryon requirements.  That will simply not fly these days because fellow travelers are ruthless little piranhas, grubbing for every inch of space for their own, overpacked bags of junk.  

And I decided it would be extremely embarrassing if the leader got her bag kicked off the plane for being oversize.  So now I am bag shopping for a bag that meets carryon requirements.

Hopefully, this will work out in the end.  I am slowly collecting a stable of luggage that has outlived its usefulness... like the large suitcase we were given for a wedding present that we used on our honeymoon and then for each move... and for nothing else.  And an array of duffle bags.  I think I might have a bag problem.

Wish me bon voyage!

1 comment:

Jacob said...

Very nicely put together post with plenty of superb points. I must say, extremely well done and all the very best moving forward
1996 Oldsmobile 88 Series AC Compressor