Thursday, November 24, 2011

Ditching Black Friday, Football Loyalty, and Thankful for...

http://kathybagioni.com/?p=119My mom posted something on her blog about Black Friday.  She gives you a helpful guide for how to get the most out of the day.

I pointed out that the greatest skill on Black Friday is the ability to harden one's hard to the consistency of sandstone.  You know, easy to scratch (so you can feel the bloodlust of the stuff you are at the store in pursuit of) but hard enough to hurt (because you'll need to be dispassionate enough to sucker-punch your own grandmother if she gets to a deal before you).

Poor grandmother.  It goes without saying that no one in my family would ever approve of sucker-punching one's grandmother at any time.  I imagine it would have a seriously detrimental effect on one's future ability to be fed soda and pie.

Years ago, my favorite part of Thanksgiving, was cheering football.  True, basketball season meant we got to do more interesting stunts and routines, but I have always preferred the football season.  The cheer uniforms were cuter, we got to use our giant size poms, and I just like the game better.  Quite aside from it being great fun, it usually meant I could justify more pie.

These days, my football loyalties have settled on the U of O Ducks and the Redskins of my beloved DC.  My other dedication in football is leading the charge on Anti-Patriot-ism.  I loathe the Patriots with a deep dark loathing deep in my heart and I don't care how well you think Tom "Same Haircut as Justin Bieber" Brady plays.  My new dream in life is to corrupt my Junior Warden's daughter.  He loves the Patriots and is leading her down that dark path.  There may still be hope for her soul.

In the category of things I am thankful for, I'm definitely obeying the orders of a friend of mine to enjoy the use of my legs.  She would definitely want me to get out there tomorrow morning and bike or run somewhere and enjoy it.  So I give thanks for a functional body (even with that persistently achy and tight hip- where's my foam roller!) and might go run the Holli tomorrow.  (That's my 5K route that I named after her.)  I want to go on a little bike ride, but I'm a little leery of the many wet leaves down and scared of imminent crashes.  The Ten (formerly M) went running with me today for a 28 minute 5K.

And you know what?  I'm thankful that my life consists of having tomorrow off duty.  I'm thankful for  friends who come from the entire political and religious spectrum and actually like all of them for reasons that have nothing to do with their politics or religion.  I'm thankful to be among the community here in Eugene, and to work with awesome people in what might be the happiest parish I have ever been in.

There's a lot to be thankful for this year.




No comments: