Thursday, August 18, 2011

My stomach. My nemesis.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a triathlete in possession of a stomach must be in want of massive quantities of food.

I've been working on my nutrition and eating this summer.  I've dropped some good poundage and incorporated even MORE veggies into my diet.  I still have some problems, though.

The biggest problem are days like these when I don't start out on schedule.  I had a meeting with the clergy in town at the sushi coffeeshop.  Yes, such a place does exist.

So I skipped breakfast.

By the time I got there a little after 10, I was starving.  So I ordered my mocha and a bagel which was the size of my head.

But then I wasn't hungry for lunch.  So I skipped lunch.

But then 5 PM rolled around and I was suddenly starving and raging on low blood sugar.  (Think The Hulk and imagine The Hulk wearing a clergy collar and saying, "YOU WON'T LIKE ME WHEN I"M HUNGRY!")

We retrieved our farm box and, in the time it took M to put away my commuter bike and get the mail,  I inhaled: two dehydrator cookies, a tortilla with two egg whites, 1/4 avocado, and an achingly beautiful tomato, a scoop of yogurt and about 2/3 cup of fresh blueberries.

So, see, it was mostly healthy, but an immense amount to take in.  And now I'm very sleepy and full and think I might skip today's run in favor of joining friends for a blackberry picking outing.

I should really spread out my eating a bit more and start better in the AM, right?

I should also never give up a blackberry outing, right?



BTW, here's that recipe I promised Facebook friends.  Last year, after Nation's, I was totally done with all the highly processed energy food I'd eaten all summer.  You have to do that in the beginning to figure out what your body can tolerate, but by Sept 12, I didn't want to see another packaged bar or gummy chew again.

I did a raw food diet for a month to get resettled, and discovered an amazing smoothie with strawberry, banana, almond milk, and cacao.

This rocked, because I found (1/2 off!) a package of 75% cacao chocolate chips.  I bought them and proceeded to do the following:

1/4 cup cacao nibs (or chocolate chips.  I suggest you see below, and make the same mistake I did.)
7-9 frozen strawberries.
1/2-1 frozen banana (I use 1/2)
1/2 cup almond milk and 1/2 cup water  OR 1/2 cup yogurt and 1 to 1 1/2 cups water (depending on how liquidy you like smoothies).

Blend, blend, blend.

I ate this constantly for 2 weeks.  Then I went back to the store and looked for the 75% cacao chocolate chips.  Not finding them, I asked a store employee, who ruined my life when he showed me to the RAW CACAO NIBS.  I then discovered my error.  I mourned for an evening, and then decided that a chocolate chip smoothie was not only awesome, it had also never killed anyone.

And I decided to make it for myself every now and then.

This makes a big smoothie, so you can even split it amongst friends.  If you drink it for breakfast, I promise I won't tell your mother if you don't tell mine.

No comments: