Friday, May 28, 2010

Validation and Swimming

So, today, I had a situation where the only thing I could do was validate the person's parking garage ticket. I went to Officer Joe, one of my favorite officers.  He's a mellow guy who's seen enough in the world that he has nothing to prove and nothing to gain, so he can walk the halls spreading calm and being polite.  Well, polite, and a side of Mighty Muscle, which helps when I need backup.  He's my mellow linebacker.  I asked him if he'd mind validating the parking ticket.


He takes the ticket, and says, "You are a very fine parking ticket.  You are very yellow, and you have the time stamped on you".  That just cracked me up.  Officer Joe doesn't usually validate the very existence of my tickets, so I am taking this one at face value.  Validation rocks. 


After I got home, I had my usual shift at Ten Thousand Villages, where I am currently in love with the new items like snack-size tiffins (which I don't *think* I'll buy because I already have bentos and a tiffin...) and the upcycled items like the folio made out of VHS tape.  It's completely awesome.  You'll see.  And there's these cute little frog toys.  And I can't wait for us to get the paper doll kit- it's a set of wooden tracing pieces to trace doll parts and clothes that you can then decorate and cut out in any style you choose.  How awesome is that?  (Too awesome for words, really). 


And then it was off to swimming practice.  Because I can't do math to save my life, I thought I had to do 1,750 yards, and figured out that was 15 fifty foot laps. When I got home, I realized that I only had to swim 750 yards, and that the pool is measured in yards, not feet.  I did fifteen up-and-down lengths, and got up to three continuous lengths at a time before I had to stop and do the breathing exercise to get my breath back.  But I think the technique is becoming more natural.  A few more workouts for technique and I might be able to start swimming for speed!  All in all, I'm pretty sure I swam about 750 yards, since I lost count a few times and decided to redo laps 10 and 12 to make sure I had gotten them in. 


Tomorrow is a bike candy day, but I'm working 8:30 to 8:30.  I'm not sure I'll be awake to do an early morning ride, although in Arlington, during the smoggy summer, I did used to get up at 530 or 6 to ride.  (Down the bike path, with wildflowers and serenity on all sides...).  I may take tomorrow as my "day off" and do my bike ride on Memorial Day.  I will also be inflicting a crunchy granola salad upon my family at the picnic, and bringing my ice-cream-ball to make ice cream.  It should be fun. 

No comments: