Sunday, May 23, 2010

Bike Priest!!

So, I've been hearing about Team in Training for a year now, after a PA I work with did the Nation's Tri.  I thought she was insane.  Triathlons... you've GOT to be nuts!  Aren't those things about a hundred miles long*?  But she said something about it benefiting leukemia and lymphoma patients, so I thought it could be fun.  After all, my grandfather died from lymphoma...


Fast forward nine months, when I went to an informational meeting for Team in Training.  It was great, and they seemed totally jazzed about their mission.  I decided I'd want to get my family to support me to do something in memory of my grandfather.  Unfortunately, the only events were marathons (not quite) and centuries.  Yes, please, but since I was still doing rehab for my busted hand, a century in four months seemed a little premature.  Not to mention that my family was not all that crazy about the idea of me doing a memory trip.


A few months after that, I got awful news- a good friend- a really great guy who's married to this awesome woman- got the worst news of his life.  He had tumors.  He was diagnosed with advanced lymphoma and the treatment kicked in.


I knew it was time.  I asked him to be my teammate, and he agreed!  So I am doing the Nation's Triathlon in September in honor of my friend Ben.  Because Ben is facing a life where his cancer can't be cured- he will just go from remission to remission to remission.


Wouldn't it be awesome if he could finally achieve a cure, and quit waiting for remission to end?


Over the next few months, I'll chronicle my trials and travails in tri training.  I've never wanted to do a tri in my whole life.  The only sport I am confident in is the biking thing.  The bike leg will be like therapy before the run!  So I'll be learning to run decently, to swim fast, and to wear a wetsuit without dying of self-loathing.


I want to beat my fundraising goal of $2,800 because I want to do MORE than the minimum, so every extra dollar goes to cancer research!  And, as a bonus, I want Ben to hit remission by then.  You know why?  Because he deserves it!  (Though I know I have no control over that.  But it would be awesome if my teammate could be there with his family and friends, and have a chemo-free week ahead of him, would't it?)

PS-
*It's the IRONMAN that's a hundred miles long.  I'll be doing an Olympic distance: shorter everything.  I have no plans to do an Ironman, though I'm told that everyone says that in the beginning.
**The picture IS of my bike!  My roadie is on top, my hybrid is in the middle, and Martin's is on the bottom.  He needed a sharp point chiseled off his wheel (and he hasn't had a flat since) and my roadie was brand new.  I was having my stuff (like pedals) switched off my hybrid onto my roadie.  Happy birthday, roadie!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE AWESOME!!! We can't wait to cheer you on! -Sarah

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful thing to do. You go girl and you go Ben.
jean