Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Letter Went Out Last Week

For anyone who missed the letter:

January 7, 2010 Dear People of Epiphany, I am writing to tell you that my time with you is drawing to a close. As you were aware, I have been called to full-time service as a hospital chaplain. We agreed at that time that I would try and work both positions, but at this time, I feel that I can no longer serve the needs of Epiphany. While I am excited to begin this next stage of my ministry, I am sorry that this necessarily means that I will no longer be able to be with you. The two and a half years that I have been at Church of the Epiphany have been, overall, a good time. You enabled me to return to Connecticut, a place I did want to come back to. Southbury was a place that I chose to come to, and I was honored that you chose me as your priest. I have been blessed to work with many faithful, dedicated people. Epiphany has stuck together through some very difficult times, and you are to be commended. You as a parish community have a gift for giving to your town. I urge you to remain engaged in this work, and to continue increasing your stewardship and your outreach. By doing so, you are helping to ensure a bright future for the whole Church. Finally, my last Sunday at Epiphany will be Sunday, January 31. I will be in the office until Feb 6 to wrap up my duties. Please pray for me and know that you will remain in my prayers as well. I will always be thankful for the time that we have spent together. Thank you for all the myriad ways you have changed my life. May God’s many blessings continue to be with you all. Faithfully, The Rev. Elizabeth A.B. {edited}, Priest-in-Charge

My last Sunday will be Jan. 31, with services at 8 and 10AM. I would love to see you!

Awww! Thanks- a few of you who I didn't even realize were reading mentioned you were worried about my name appearing. As a priest, I have a very public persona in many ways- I know few other professions where we struggle with the question of whether or not to put our home phone or cell phone on the answering machine. However, it is true that at least in blog life I try to maintain a modicum of privacy for my beloved M and anyone else in the family. I edited the above letter, and am now pondering the tension between the public and private life of the clergy. Hmmm... (no, I'm NOT procrastinating, why do you ask?)

No comments: