Monday, December 1, 2008

Spookie Dip... ew!

Among my friends, I have a little bit of a reputation as a reasonable cook. A certain Chick-of-Honor had me as a guest in her house one notable summer during which she declared she'd never eaten so well in her life. (She and her husband are no slouches in the kitchen, and I still consider them popover authorities. We *all* ate well!) But suffice it to say, the kitchen and I are usually friends.

Well, barring the occasional misstep like the nothing-but-broccoli-rabe dinner. Maybe I'll add another veggie to cut the sharp mustard-y flavor next time...

And certainly barring the latest effort. I am carefully watching my portion control over the next few weeks. One New Year's resolution is to be healthier, and one of the ways I plan to do that is by watching what I eat and not eating everything in sight. I cook pretty healthy... I just tend to eat too much of it. It's just sooooo tasty!

So I got a cookbook out of the library, advertising "bodacious spinach dip". So I made it. It tasted a little... raw last night. I thought maybe it just needed to sit over night.

Today, it tastes like the sort of dip you'd dip your spinach cookie into if you were a crazy health-food nut and ate only raw spinach. It TASTES healthy.

It tastes ICK! Blah! Yuck!

Then I realized the recipe called for COOKED spinach.

Meet the girl who made the Spookie Dip with RAW spinach.

Out goes the spinach dip. I don't think it can be saved. Next time, note to self- try COOKING the spinach!

No comments: