Saturday, November 22, 2008

Sick Priest

The 24-stomach-bug has been running through our house. I'll spare you the details, but it started with M. I went to have my picture taken by the State Police (who've asked me to do some chaplaincy for them), and then I went to the retirement of our awesome assistant, Marty D. (Can I just say that I realized on that day that I have TOTALLY under-appreciated Marty? The lady is bedrock. I was stunned to realize that I have just taken for granted her supreme helpfulness and intelligence. She's so mild-mannered, you don't even realize how essential she is, or how much guidance she gave so many of us.)

As I came home, suddenly, the door opened and M lurched in. He proceeded to spend the evening in misery.

I woke up yesterday feeling, if possible, more tired than I was went I went to bed. By the time my hospital shift started, everything hurt. I gave up with an hour and a half to go. By the time I got home, I had chills and a legit fever. I proceeded to spend the night shaking on the couch wrapped up in two blankets, flannel jammies, and a heating pad. I woke up this morning with residual soreness. I think it would be a good idea to cancel the newborn-nephew visit and... well... pretty much anything else I was going to do today.

Maybe if I'm really good M will make soup.

1 comment:

Allison Elaine said...

`Dear, dear lady. I remember when my mother was in the Neuro ICU in a hospital in Hartford. We had wonderful support from the curate at my parents' church (the church I was raised in), as well as great support from the chaplains on call at critical points when Fr. Curate couldn't be in two places at once.

As an Episcopalian, I understand that some sacramental functions can only be performed by a priest. But I also remember how my brother and his wife, firmly in the Reformed tradition, were comforted by the impromptu prayer of a Baptist chaplain in a way that nothing else could approach.

So I consider hospital chaplains to be saints whose halos temporarily rest around their necks. For those chaplains from traditions that don't wear collars, or who are "in the process" with no collars - their halos are even now being polished by angels.

As I read your post where you described leaving work at the hospital, I mentally cheered. Because a family under great stress doesn't need to be exposed to a cold, a stomach bug, or the flu. I hope that the community of chaplains where you work is good about backing each other up.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for the work you do. It is beyond invaluable. Some day, Someone will welcome you into the Kingdom prepared before the foundation of the world. But I think, maybe, you dwell there now.