Thursday, November 20, 2008

Light Verse

After a particularly grueling Vestry meeting last night, I was overheard to say "I think I will go home and have a nice junkyard martini" (the dirtiest of all dirty martinis). A gracious vestry member offered the following:

A Drink With Something In It

There is something about a Martini,

A tingle remarkably pleasant;

A yellow, a mellow Martini;

I wish I had one at present.

There is something about a Martini,

Ere the dining and dancing begin,

And to tell you the truth,

It is not the vermouth--

I think that perhaps it's the gin.

Ogden Nash

Of course, I don't drink the gin. All my martinis are vodka martinis, due to my unfortunate prior run-ins with juniper (and the serious allergy that followed). But still. I love me a good martini... clean, dirty, junkyard (with olives, capers, and pimentos with the brine), pumpkin...

As the story goes, in WWII, as England fell into ruins and the atomic bomb was built and the question before the world was whether or not we'd have a future to look forward to at all, the Brits published a small book. It was printed up to the very margins as paper was so precious. It was a volume of light, airy verse, such as the ode to Martinis printed above.

Even in the worst of times, England found time to celebrate with a small bit of something completely frivolous.

I think we call that hope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

no mas, jaimito! vaya el otro tequila.

well, to each their each, i reckon...