Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Totally Ridiculous Collar Story

So, most of you know that I wear linen collars which require a bit of starch for stiffness. I got new collars recently. They take a few washes before the factory starch wears off a bit. That factors heavily into my current predicament, because I rinse my collars before wearing so they aren't so stiff.

It's very hot and HUMID in Connecticut. It's so steamy that we have to put all our towels (even dish towels that hang on the oven handle) in the dryer to dry. It is important to this story that things don't dry. Because I rinse my collars, and even if they feel dry to the touch, they apparently are not dry.

Because I put my collar on in my humid, steamy house, and I went to work in the air conditioned hospital.

Where my collar dried solid. I'm not kidding. I can't get the damn thing off... it's dried so stiff I can't move it enough to get the collar buttons out. I think I'll have to go sit out in the humidity for a few hours to loosen it up a bit. I bet this NEVER HAPPENS to normal people!

Although I do admit it's a great way to get your library parking comped.

3 comments:

Maggie said...

Not sure why you'd want to wear linen collars. I find the plastic ones work just fine.

The Vagabond Priest said...

But they are SOOOO uncomfortable! I like my linen ones since I can make them a little softer and squishier. They become like friendly mock turtlenecks.
My first boss wore plastic and didn't clean them. That's enough mind-bending EWWWW for the rest of my life!

Baby Vagabond said...

This going to be totally random.

I found your blog while doing a google search for my new line of baby clothes.

And now I think I am totally addicted!